The Paper Roses Wall Hanging looks good at your front door, at a wall or use it as a center piece of a table. Or use the tutorial to make a bouquet.
Here is how to make it:
- Coffee Filters
- Food Coloring
- Colored Paper
- Hot Glue
- Craft Glue
- Craft Paint
- Paper Towels
- Hole Punch Tool
- Round Pencil or Brush
- Small Piece of Wire
- Straight Edge
- Craft Knife
- Cutting Mat
Dying Coffee Filters
- Dye your coffee filters in the color that you want your roses be colored in. I used a little bit of red food dye diluted in water and just set the edge of the coffee filters in it. You can dye one at a time or multiples. If you dye more than one at a time, make sure to peel the filters apart carefully, so they don’t tear. I spread mine out on the paper towels to get rid of excess water. Then I laid them on a table to let them dry.
Creating The Leaves
2. While your filters are drying make the leaves for the Paper Roses Wall Hanging: Cut the colored paper into squares, then into triangles. I varied the sizes of the paper. Keep the strip that is left from cutting it into the squares. This will also make a leaf.
3. Fold the triangle in the center and then accordion-fold it. Lastly fold it and glue the edges together with craft glue.
4. Fold the thin rectangle that was left over from cutting the paper into squares down the center. Accordion-fold it on an angle. Then smooth the paper somewhat and cut in a half moon shape. Unfold it and you have another type of leaf.
Creating the Base
5. Cut a half moon out of cardboard in the size that you want your wall hanging to be in. This will be the backer for you Paper Roses Wall Hanging. Then paint it to match the color of the leaves.
6. Once the paint is dry, use your hole punch tool on the largest setting and punch holes where you want the roses to be.
Making the Roses
7. Next, take the dry, dyed coffee filters and fold them into eighths. Then cut a half moon shape on the larger end. Unfold the filter and cut a slit down to the center. Next take your round pencil or brush and curl the scalloped edges.
8. Roll the coffee filter around the edges of it. Then twist the end to fix the rose. Lastly tape the ends. I used a small piece of masking tape. But clear tape works well, too, if your roses will be seen on this end.
Assembling the Paper Roses Wall Hanging
9. Stick the roses through your punched holes of your base and glue them onto it by turning the base over and hot gluing the backs, that stick through the card board.
10. Then arrange and hot glue your leaves onto the base.
11. I Used a piece of looped wire that I hot glued on one end to hang it.
You can also use this technique to make a bouquet. Then use clear tape and stick a sturdy wire on the end of the rose, then tape it on. Or use a wooden skewer for the stems.
Its Your Turn
Show me how you used this tutorial to make your own version of the Paper Roses Wall Hanging.